The LWLTC is a FREE six-week programme which is delivered one day a week for 2.5 hours. It aims to support people with a long- term health or medical condition, to maintain their health and improve their quality of life. The course has been designed to help people with chronic or long term illness regain as much control over their physical and emotional wellbeing as possible. It compliments existing health care programmes and treatments, empowering participants to be more informed and take back control of their lives.
JC a participant from our first online course said;
This course has been extremely beneficial. The tutors were fantastic! I am very pleased to have received the handbook and further information which I can now reference I will be telling everyone about the course. I like that I can return to this course if needed and be included in certain weeks I’ve missed or want to repeat’
Local GP said;
‘I have had excellent feedback when I have referred people and they have all benefited in some way from attending the course’
New Online Dates
People from across Derbyshire with a long-term health condition are substantially benefiting from our courses which are supporting and encouraging participants to self-manage their conditions more effectively to live fuller more meaningful lives.
Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 we are at the moment unable to offer any face-to-face courses; however, we are delighted to let you know that we have developed an online version of the course.
The next six-week LWLTC course starts on Wednesday 9th June online via Zoom
- Wednesday 5th May – Wednesday 9th June 10.30 – 13.00
- Wednesday 9th June – Wednesday 14th July 10.30 – 13.00
- Wednesday 1st Sept – Wednesday 6th Oct 10.30 – 13.00
- Tuesday 5th Oct – Tuesday 9th Nov 10.30 – 13.00
- Thursday 11th Nov – Thursday 16 Dec 10.30 – 13.00
The courses will be delivered the same as the Face to Face courses which usually take place in the Community. They will run for six weeks, with a session being held each week at the same time.
To attend the online course, participants would need access to a PC, laptop or tablet that has a webcam and audio facilities.
We do have a high uptake for the sessions so if you have, or know of anyone who may be interested in attending please refer to us as soon as possible to ensure that a place is reserved.
Overview of the Programme
This is FREE six-week programme is delivered one day a week for 2.5 hours. It aims to support people with a long- term health or medical condition, to maintain their health and improve their quality of life. The course has been designed to help people with chronic or long term illness regain as much control over their physical and emotional wellbeing as possible. It compliments existing health care programmes and treatments, empowering participants to be more informed and take back control of their lives.
Topics covered include healthy eating, relaxation, appropriate physical exercise, dealing with pain, fatigue, stress and depression, and communicating effectively with friends, family and health professionals. It also provides a forum to meet with others and share experiences.
The LWLTC Programme is for anyone who has one or more long-term health conditions such as asthma, arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis (MS), depression, diabetes, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), heart disease, sickle cell, HIV, ME/chronic fatigue, chronic pain or any other condition. The course is also available and has proved to be beneficial for carers of someone with a long term condition. The programme is delivered by two volunteer tutors who themselves live with long-term conditions and can give practical advice based on their own life experience.
Feedback has been great. People have said that the programme has really helped them to feel more positively about life, as well as advising on practical changes they can make to improve their wellbeing.
What people who have attended the online courses say;
- Very enjoyable course presented well by the two tutors.
- ZOOM meetings were excellent initially I was unsure if I would cope with the IT but it is just a click on the link and away you go brilliant course would definitely recommend it.
- This course has been extremely beneficial. The 2 tutors were fantastic. I am very pleased to have received the Handbook and further information which I can now reference to. I will really be telling everyone about this course.
- I feel that this course is well presented and covers all relevant issues and is relaxed with easy participation. The tutors are really easy to interact with and friendly. I would recommend to others without hesitation. In these difficult times things are tough and the team did a brilliant job …. Keep up the good work
- The teachers themselves were experiencing chronic disease and were so insightful. They were all lovely, helpful, respectful, knowledgeable I would like to call them friends.
- I enjoyed the course and it broadened my understanding of long term chronic conditions with meeting so many people who endured chronic pain. I too have pain with IBS and diverticulosis but not the acute deep pain endured by some of the others. Little phrases helped me, like not ‘ suffering from ‘ but’ living with’.
- I liked the idea of action plans and will try to carry on that idea. Difficult emotions I could relate to and hope to cope better. I think the book Health Conditions is wonderful and will use it a lot. The course tutors were always cheerful and clear in their instructions. The length of the course was fine, and everyone was given the opportunity to ask questions and Express their views. In concluding I found the course helpful and a good experience.
Criteria for referral?
The individual needs to:
- Live in Derbyshire
- Have a long-term health condition or
- Be caring for someone with a long-term health condition
To reserve a space on one of the courses please return the referral form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also contact me at this email to request further information or if you prefer please contact: Tel – Natalie Trethewey 07487 257187.
For more information please visit: www.citizensadvicemidmercia.org.uk/self-support